Monday, March 23, 2009

SPRING BREAK!
















Ok...so it's MONDAY! YEA! (jk) BUT, in my eyes...it's the first day of spring break! I was so excited to post last night, because we had such a great day building our first rain barrel! We had gone to Menards real early, (limping as I may have been) and bought some gutters for the chicken coop, and stuff to transform a large garbage can into a rainbarrel! I even took pictures of each step! Cutting the holes for the spigot, Zach winding it in...the component for the downspout...everything. And low and behold, SOMEHOW...the usb cord for my phone was NOWHERE to be found! I searched high and low, and just don't understand HOW it could have dissapeared? SOOOOO, I don't have any pictures to post! :( But I will keep looking and post them as soon as I find it! I also bought THREE NEW SHOVELS, a cultivating hoe, and a small hoe (for Jenna) to make the rows. I got my onion sets, spinache, and radishes.
But anyways...we did get the gutter up on the Chicken coop! The reason? Well, we have no source of water on the land as of now, and since I want to get my garden in real soon, we'll need some H20 for watering! Since the coop is the only structure on the land...well...that had to be it! But what we thought was going to be easy, didn't end up being easy at all! hehehe The roof of the chicken coop is metal, but they built it with the ribs of the metal going horizontal to the slant of the roof...which meant that the rain would not flow down, but to the sides, and the overhangs were WAY too far out to drop any rain into the gutters. SOOOO, we hammered the metal down to drop into the gutters. So now...all we need is a little rain to see if it'll work!
We also flagged where the building is going to sit, and how far the driveway will go! Then we sat around the fire relaxing as I tended to my bum leg which was really swollen and very sore!
After we got home, I once again began my search for a rototiller! I did find one in a town about an hour and 1/2 away. It's rear tined, looks pretty new and fairly large...and a good deal at $160. We've exchanged emails, but I'm second in line to a guy who's going today at 1:00, so if THAT guy doesn't want it, and if it all works out...we'll be heading to go get it HOPEFULLY tonight! I also found some Hosta plants on Craigslist for free...just "you dig up" in the town over. So I'll be heading over there in about an hour or so to get those. I really didn't need too many, as I still have more to divide at home, but Missy needs some, and unfortunately...I don't have many to spare this year for her. So since they're free, and only about 15 minutes away, I'll go dig them up! Well...I'll attempt to anyhow...with my foot...who knows! I'm wondering if I didn't hurt it worse than I thought! It was really swollen and turning black and blue? Oh well, I'm still walking...so that's not going to stop me! :) Have a blessed day!

No comments: